Wet Hulled, Sun Dried
This is an outstanding lot of new crop Sulawesi traceable to smallholder farmers in the Utara village located in the Tana Toraja district of Sulawesi.
These smallholder farmers are families in the village who actually shade grow the coffee in plots around and near their homes.
You can know with certainty that purchasing this crop of Sulawesi will have a direct and positive impact on these families.
This Sulawesi is an exceptional crop offering complex flavors, a huge, deep body, mild acidity, and spicy finish.
The mouth feel is rich and creamy; the aroma spicy with notes of oak, and the finish is silky and smooth.
No other Indonesian coffee is quite like a great Sulawesi. This is a stunning coffee that sets itself apart!
Roast Level / Profile Notes:
Our Sulawesi Kalosi is one of those coffees that works great at every roast level we have tried.
We chose the Vienna Roast as our default simply because that is the one that is ordered most frequently.
However, we urge you try the lighter roasts as well; you will not be disappointed.
As always, we are happy to accommodate any roast level you prefer.
- City Roast - With this roast you are going to get huge herbal qualities, a bit of melon, a snappy acidity, and a crisp finish. Depth will still be there, but not as much. A daring choice!
- Full City Roast - A very nice roast for this coffee. Chocolate is more of a milk chocolate, notes of black cherry, forest floor, and spice. Smooth, smooth!
- Full City (+) Roast - If you are seeking more bakers chocolate, silky smoothness, broader flavor and richness, with notes of cinnamon / cardamom, then this will be a great roast for you.
- Vienna Roast - Deep, deep, syrupy body, dark chocolate, extremely mild acidity and all with the complexity and spice!!
- French Roast - While you will sacrifice some of the spiciness and complexity, a French roast will yield that deep, rich, strong 'after dinner' coffee that will provide a satisfying and lingering quality you would savor.
Our Sulawesi is grown in the mountains in the center of the island of Sulawesi in an area known as Toraja.
Kalosi is the small town in central Sulawesi and has become a common designator for many Sulawesi coffees.
Many still refer to it as Celebes, which was the old Dutch colonial name for the island.
As we noted above, our Sulawesi is traceable down to the family (smallholder) farmers that produce the crop.
- Origin: Sulawesi
- Region: Toraja
- Sub-Region: Tana Toraja
- Village: Toraja Utara
- Traceable: Smallholder farmers
- Elevation: 4,922 ft and greater
- Process: Wet hulled, sun dried
- Arabica Variety: Caturra, Jember, Typica